Health Poison Ivy is a plant that prospers through all of North America and is present in two main varieties Western, or Pacific, and Atlantic. The concern with Poison Ivy, which grows as ground cover and can be.e large bushes, is that it contains an oil Urushiol that, when it .es into contact with our skin, causes very irritating blistering and irritation. It is in our interest to understand that the oil occurs not just in the leaves but in all of the plant, including the root and the stem, and it is the immune system pushing against the poison, as it seeps into the skin, that is the root of the pain we experience. Why Poison Ivy is poisonous It may seem unusual to us that at plant should be poisonous, but like many living things Poison Ivy has its part in the ecosystem. The way it grows is a clue as it is a source of shelter for lower growing plants and ground dwelling animals, and the majority of those are, unlike humans, not affected by the oil. Furthermore, Poison Ivy supplies berries that are an important foodstuff for a great number of bird species. How to identify the symptoms and more about Urushiol oil. The patient will very quickly suffer from irritation in the skin, in .pany with severe itching and inflammation in the infected area. The skin will be.e discoloured and a burning sense will occur, and in a short period blisters will form along with the rash. Suffering can be endure for many weeks or may be done with within days, and a particular case is different. It is suggested that cooling the skin is a good antidote and also prevents further infection. There are various important facts that people need to be aware of about Urushiol oil, and the first is that it is very potent indeed. Research has indicated that a quantity of the oil the size of a pin-head could spread to 500 people, and as it is not a water based substance it will not evaporate. The latter point presents a major obstacle as it means the oil can stick to on items it has been in contact with for as long as, and maybe longer than, a year. This opens up the possibility of re-infection, or of a person who has not been in contact with the plant being affected. Clothes, shoes, tools and pets can all hold the oil, and the very small amounts necessary to cause suffering give it greater potency. Gloves and coats, together with boots, are among the .monest causes of Poison Ivy infection and should be scrubbed thoroughly if contamination is suspected. How we can be.e infected There are numerous ways that an individual can .e into contact with the oil from Poison Ivy, and transfer from affected clothing and other items is one reason as we have already noted. The reason that we suffer when having encountered the oil is because of the necessary reaction it promotes, and it is notable that direct contact with the plant is not imperative to induce a reaction. If Poison Ivy is burned the smoke is contaminated with vaporised oil, and even .ing into contact with this mixture can cause an attack. It has been said that a 100 year old plant once affected a person, an indication of how much troube the plant can be. Anything that has been in contact with the sap of the plant must be avoided, therefore, and dogs kept away from Poison Ivy bushes. How to deal with a sufferer of a Poison Ivy reaction It is important that treatment is attempted immediately, and the best method is to wash the affected area in warm water. A sensible re.mendation is to use a very well tried antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the infection beyond its boundaries. It is imperative to score the blisters, too, and to give the area of infection exposure to the air. Keeping blisters bandaged is imperative in order not to invite infection. Remember that it is simply the oil that will encourage the infection to spread, so contact with it should be limited. The condition will, in a while, clear up .pletely, but there are treatments available for the irritation and for extreme reactions. It is the choice of the individual whether to wait for it to subside or to look for further help. Some lucky people are fortunate in that they have no sensitivity to Poison Ivy, but these are scarece and most of us would be infected by .ing into contact with the ivy. If one sees Poison Ivy the best advice a man can give is the most logical avoid it very carefully and dont let your pet near it. About the Author: 相关的主题文章: